Sunday, February 16, 2014

So the UUA has a new logo?



Again?  Yawn.  So what else is new?

Although a few thoughts do occur to me: 

(1) It's only a logo. For letterhead and brochures and such. It doesn't mean anything. 

(2) It's not an object of veneration or worship.

(3) It doesn't say anything specific about us.

(4) Comments 1-3 apply equally to the flaming chalice, by the way. 

(5) Given our preference for novelty over stability, it probably won't last any longer than the previous one anyway. (Which was what? 8 or 9 years?)

(6) So it's just not worth all the energy and drama being devoted to it. 

(7) But if it does gain acceptance, and thus encourage de-emphasis of the similarly banal and meaningless flaming chalice as a symbol of our identity and object of our adoration, that would be a very good thing.

5 Comments:

At February 16, 2014 at 4:25:00 PM EST, Blogger Will Shetterly said...

You made me laugh. As logos go, it's swell. It'd look good on a superhero's chest. But it's not quite as doodle-able as the old logo, and that's a bit of a shame.

 
At February 18, 2014 at 9:04:00 AM EST, Blogger Buddhagan said...

It also won't look good as jewelry. BTW, I need some flaming chalice earrings. :)

 
At May 18, 2015 at 11:00:00 PM EDT, Blogger dave b said...

How can you in all good conscience call yourself a Socinian when you're a UU? Socinus actually believed in Christ; UUs believe in nothing.

 
At May 19, 2015 at 8:37:00 AM EDT, Blogger fausto said...

You're coming awfully late to the logo discussion, David, and I'd say your comment is both off topic and needlessly scornful.

Who says I don't "believe in" Christ, anyway, at least to the same extent that Socinus did?

Anyway, a UU is merely someone who belongs to a UUA-affiliated congregation. I would define myself as a Socinian by belief, and a UU only by circumstantial association. If I lived in another town I might instead be be a Congregationalist, or a Quaker, or an Episcopalian, or a "none", but I would still also be a Socinian.

 
At May 19, 2015 at 8:52:00 AM EDT, Blogger Will Shetterly said...

David Brainerd, if you consider yourself a Christian, you might want to ponder Jesus's advice about judging others, and the bit about strangers doing good work in his name, which inspired him to say, "whoever is not against us is for us." That said, I thank you for commenting, because it inspired me to read Wikipedia's article about Socinus, which makes me think I may be a Socinian too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home